CoreWin is a Core War simulator for the Windows environment. It provides a visual arena in which Core War programs, or “warriors”, battle each other. It is simple to use and visually appealing, with high-resolution graphics and GUI controls. An unlimited number of warriors can battle simultaneously in a Core of up to 130,000,000 memory locations.
This document is intended only as a user’s guide to the simulator; it does not describe Core War, or how to write Core War programs. For these topics, please refer to the introductory materials at http://www.corewar.info, http://www.koth.org, and many other Core War sites.
· Full support of ICWS’94 standards, with all current extensions
· Built-in editor and compiler, with full support for multi-line EQUates, for/rof loops, and complex expressions. Shows detailed descriptions of all compile errors.
· User-selectable parameters, including read/write limits
· Four kinds of tournament play: Melee, Challenge, Round-Robin, and Benchmark
· Multiple core views, showing color-coded instructions, that update in real time
· P-space view, showing contents of p-space for any warrior
· Conditional breakpoints
· Editable core contents, p-space, and process queues
To get started:
· Run CoreWin.exe; the main window will come up.
· Click the Setup button to bring up the Settings dialog box. Here, you can choose warriors, set up tournaments, and change the core size and many other parameters.
o The Add button, next to the Warrior list, will bring up a file browser. Choose one or more warriors, and click OK to add them to the list.
o Change any parameters you wish, and click OK.
· On the main window, click the Start button to launch the battle.
· Click Stop to pause the battle. Click Start to resume or Single Step to execute one instruction of each warrior.
· Use the slider control just above the buttons to govern the speed of the battle.
· At the end of the battle, the Battle Status line lets you know who won.
· Click New Battle to set up a new battle using the same warriors and parameters, or click Setup again to pick new ones.
You’re on your way! Enjoy.