Bug Fix for chassis strengths
Posted by Nazgutek on May 02, 2004 at 03:41:07:
As most veteran omega players know, the 'medium' rated chassis is actually tougher than the 'heavy' rated chassis, and as a result everyone uses the Turtle for good all-round amphibious toughness.
Well, if this little inconsistency irks you, here's the fix. You will need a hexeditor of some kind.
(1) *BACKUP* INIT.OVL - I can't stress how important this is. Make a backup of this file, we're going to be editing it, and if things go wrong, we need to get the 'known good' file back.
(2) Open INIT.OVL in a hexeditor, and proceed to Absolute File Offset 17830 decimal, 0x45A6 hex.
(3) Verify that the next 10 bytes at that location are:
00 00 00 02 00 02 01 02 01 01
(3a) Note how these numbers match up with the chassis armour ratings in the documentation, but that 02 means 'medium' and 01 means 'heavy'
(4) Change all the occurences of 02 to 01, and all the 01's to 02.
(5) Verify you end up with the following 10 bytes at that location:
00 00 00 01 00 01 02 01 02 02
(6) Save INIT.OVL
If you want to verify this fix works, copy a known working tank that uses the Turtle Chassis, and give the copy a heavy armour chassis. Place one of each up against each other and the new heavy chassis tank should win.